(SwGbt: dp. 074; 1. 205', b. 35'; dr. 8'0", s. 11 k., a.
2 100-pdr., 4 0" S. B., 2 24-pdr., 2 20-pdr.; cl. Sassacus )
Mendota, a sidewheel gunboat, was launched 13 January 1863 by F. Z. Tucker, Brooklyn, N.Y.; acquired by the Navy 1 February 1864; and commissioned 2 May 1864, Comdr. E. T. Nichols in command.
From the day of her commissioning in 1864, Mendota was assigned to the James River (Va.) Division, North Atlantic Blockading Squadron. The first 10 months she served as a picket ship near Four Mile Creek. Her guns were used to prevent the establishment of Confederate batteries or entrenchments which would threaten river communications or imperil a small Union Army base camp. Action on 28 July was particularly intense. During her last 2 months oi service she directed ship movements at Hampton Roads and also at the mouth of the Delaware River.
After the war Mendota decommissioned 12 May 1865 and was laid up at League Island, Philadelphia, until sold 7 December 1867.
Mendota SwGbt - History
(SwGbt: dp. 1,370 1. 265' b. 35' dr. 9' (mean) s. 11.2k. cpl. 159 a. 6 guns)
The first Monocay, a sidewheel gunboat, was launched by A. & W. Denmead & Son, Baltimore, Md., 14 December 1864, sponsored by Miss Ellen Denmead, completed late in 1865 and placed in service in 1866.
Assigned to the Asiatic Station, Monocacy remained there until 1903, a pefiod of service so long that the lightdraft gunboat was given the nickname "Jinricksha of the Navy."
After patrol duty through 1867, Monocary joined her squadron in representing the U.S. Government at the opening of the ports of Osaka and Hiogo, Japan, 1 January 1868. In December she surveyed the Inland Sea between Nagasaki and Osaka to locate appropriate sites.for lighthouses, another step in the realization of American commercial trade with isolationist Japan. The gunboat spent most of 1869 and 1870 patrolling off Japan to help check license in the restless years following the Meiji Restoration in 1867 and the country's subsequent modernization.
After repairs at Shanghai, Monocacy began charting the Yangize River 23 March 1871. By April she was underway for Nagasaki, Japan, to participate in a survey expedition to the Salee River, Korea. After Korean batteries attacked her force, it retaliated in an operation in which Monocay lost three killed and 10 wounded. In September the gunboat resumed her navigation of the Yangtze before returning to Shanghai 4 February 1872.
For the last quarter of the 19th century, Monocacy cruised along the coasts of Japan, Korea, and China, docking in Japan through the winter months. From 23 October until 11 November 1899 the veteran ship carried the U.S. Minister to China as she visited the open ports of the Yangtze River. In 1900 Monocacy became involved in the repercussions of the Boxer Rebellion, the extremist Chinese attempt to oust foreigners. On 14 June she captured seven small craft off Tongku, China. The foreign persecutions ended with the capture of Peking 14 August by an Allied expedition, and Monocacy docked at Taku Bar, China, where she remained through the razing of the Taku fort in accordance with the farmal settlement signed in September 1901.
On 22 June 1903 Monocacy was struck from the Navy list and sold to Hashimoto and Son, Nagasaki, Japan.
So Minnesota: Mendota Bridge
Updated: June 07, 2021 10:30 PM
Created: June 07, 2021 05:17 PM
There are many bridges across Minnesota but one was considered a modern marvel when it was built.
The Mendota Bridge has a unique history. When it opened in 1926, it was the longest concrete arch bridge in the world.
Built over the Minnesota River between Fort Snelling and Mendota Heights, construction took 200 men two years to complete.
"As people are driving over the bridge, they look around and see the scenery, they don't necessarily think about what they are driving over," Matt Carter with the Dakota County Historical Society said.
The bridge opened with great fanfare. President Calvin Coolidge sent a telegraph and Minnesota Governor Theodore Christianson cut the ribbon.
"It was 4,000 feet long," Carter said. "It had 13 different arches that were built into it and each one of them was 120 feet up and then the span of them was about 300 feet wide."
The bridge was dedicated to the Gopher Gunners of the 151st field artillery who died in World War I.
Find out what's happening in Mendota Heights with free, real-time updates from Patch.
- It Was Originally Called Decoration Day: Remembering veterans who died while in military service in late May dates back to 1868, when Gen. John A. Logan called for a day of remembrance to honor the Northern lives lost amid battle during the Civil War that had ended just a few years earlier, according to History.com. Logan called it "Decoration Day," which it was known as for several years. As time passed, more and more people called it Memorial Day, History.com reported, and it became a federal holiday in 1971.
- Local Services:
- in Shakopee: Includes self-guided walking tours and scagenger hunts, with presentations given at 1 and 3 p.m. in Mendota: Includes one hour tours of a trading post in one of Minnesota's first settlements.
3. Birthplace Of Memorial Day: The Memorial Day holiday tradition in Waterloo, New York, dates back even longer than Logan's call for a day of remembrance. Waterloo first celebrated on May 5, 1866, as local businesses closed and residents decorated the graves of fallen soldiers with flowers and flags, according to History.com.
History of Mendota
MENDOTA, situated on the south bank of the Minnesota, and on the east of the Mississippi, just at their confluence, is the oldest village in the State, and the former homestead of Hon. H. H. Sibley is the oldest private residence in Minnesota, having been commenced in 1836, and completed 1837. The first settler in Mendota was Duncan Campbell, who established himself as an Indian trader about the year 1820. He has a son of the same name now living in the Village. Campbell was succeeded about the year 1825 by Jean B. Faribault, who removed thither from Pike’s Island opposite, where he had resided several years and until driven by stress of weather to seek higher ground for his habitation, the Mississippi hawing overflowed its banks to such an extent that Mr. Faribault lost all his goods and possessions, except a quantity of furs which he saved in his boat About 1828 Mendota became the principal depot of the trade of the American Fur Company, in this region, and was placed in charge of Alexis Bailly, lately deceased. In 1834 Mr. Bailly was succeeded by H. H. Sibley, who had a much larger district under his charge, as a partner with Joseph Roulette and H. L. Douseman (both now deceased) in the business of the American Fur Company, the two last named residing at Prairie du Chien, and having charge of the trade that was tributary to that central location. In 1819, Col. Leavenworth, in command of United States troops, occupied a spot on the south bank of the Minnesota river, and opposite the present site of Fort Snelling, where they remained during the winter of 1819-20. During the winter the scurvy broke out in a most malignant form, and for some days raged so violently that garrison duty was suspended, there being only well men enough in the command to attend to the sick and the interment of the dead. The attacks were frequently so sudden that persons who went to bed well at night were found dead in the morning. One man who when relieved from his post of sentinel duty, stretched himself upon a bench in the guard room, four hours after, when called upon to resume his post, was found to be lifeless. So fatal was the disease that nearly half the command perished. This is believed to be the only case of land scurvy making its appearance in this country. The troops continued to occupy quarters on the south side of the river till 1823, and some even as late as 1824, at which time Fort Snelling was completed and the whole command removed thither.
Daniel W. Hubbard was the first man to fell a tree on the camping ground, and to him is due the credit of felling the first tree to inaugurate civilization in Minnesota. All this was, however, previous to any settlement other than by government troops, except that of Duncan Campbell, the Indian trader.
In 1851 Hon. Luke Lea, Commissioner of Indian Affairs, and Hon. Alex. Ramsey, acting for the government, effected a treaty at this point, with the upper bands of Dakotas or Sioux, which together with the treaty entered into the same year, at Traverse des Sioux, deeded to the United States, all that vast country claimed by them west of the Mississippi river.
In 1847 Wisconsin was admitted as a State, leaving all those counties west of the St. Croix river without any government. Hon. H. H. Sibley, of Mendota, though residing on the opposite side of the Mississippi river, was elected to represent the inhabitants of that ungoverned country in Congress, they claiming that the act admitting a certain portion of
the Territory as a State did not abrogate the territorial organization. Mr. Sibley went on to Washington and boldly claimed his seat as a delegate from Wisconsin Territory, which after some delay was granted him. The Territory of Minnesota was organized the same session, and Mr. Sibley was elected to represent the new. Territory in 1849, and again re-elected in 1851, thus serving during five consecutive-sessions of Congress, and representing two different territories, though all the time residing at Mendota. At the time of the organization of Minnesota Territory in 1849 Hon. Stephen A. Douglas was strongly in favor of Mendota as the Capital of the Territory, but the delegate, Mr. Sibley, represented that his constituents, or a majority of them, were in favor of St. Paul, so Mr. Douglas yielded to his solicitations, and St, Paul was designated as the Territorial capital.
The first birth in Mendota was that of George Faribault, on the 28th of September, 1826. In 1834 H. H, Sibley built a store and opened up a stock of goods, which was the first store on the west side of the Upper Mississippi, and in 1837 Alexander Faribault built a stone hotel, which is still standing, and kept as a hotel by his son, George Faribault.
A Canadian by the name of Lejendre taught the first school. The first church service was held by Rev. Father Ravoux, though at what time we have been unable to ascertain. It was the first point where the Jesuit missionaries located, in this section of country. The Catholics erected a small building for a church, and after some years built the present stone edifice, which stands on the high bluff overlooking Fort Snelling and a large extent of country, for many miles around. Hon. H.H. Sibley built a small stone building to be used as a Protestant church, and which was used for that purpose for a number of years, but is now occupied as a school house.
The former residence of General Sibley was sold by him for a merely nominal sum to the Sisters of Charity of the order of St. Joseph, and is now occupied by them.
Mendota was for some years the county seat of Dakota county, but being on the extreme edge of the county, a majority of the people elected to have the county offices and records removed to the more pretentious village of Hastings, where they are now located.
The population is mostly French and Irish. The business of the town is now represented by two dry goods and grocery stores, one kept by Timothy Fee, the other by John Roth two hotels, one by George Faribault, the other by Michael Lynch two blacksmith shops, by William Morrissey and Joseph Braudette two wagon shops, by Joseph Braudette and Flavious Braudette. Civillo Boutillette and Edward Lemay have carpenter shops, while Michael Dupuis is the shoemaker of the village.
Mendota furnished the first State Governor, Hon. H. H. Sibley, who was also Delegate to Congress for three successive terms, and member of the Constitutional Convention, and town officers as follows:
|Chairman of Supervisors.||Town Clerk.|
|1858-Patrick Eagan.||G. S. Whitman.|
|1859-Patrick Eagan.||G. S. Whitman.|
|1880-A. G-. Shaffer.||Jas. McBoal, appointed|
|1861-James McBoal||Philip Crowley|
|1862-P. B. Thompson||Philip Crowley|
|1863-P. B. Thompson||Philip Crowley|
|1864-James Thompson||Philip Crowley|
|1865-Michael Lynch||Philip Crowley|
|1866-William Morrissey||Philip Crowley|
|1867-James Thomas||J. D. Rodgers, Jr. |
T. D. Smith, appointed.
|1868-C. A. Slivens||Philip Crowley |
J H. Benson, appointed
The Milwaukee, St. Paul and Minneapolis Railroad makes a junction at this point with the Minnesota Valley Railroad, passengers for St. Paul or the Minnesota Valley taking the valley road, though making no change of cars for St. Paul.
The Milwaukee and Minneapolis Railway at this point presents some of the finest features of engineer-ing to be found on any road in the country. As the train from Minneapolis runs directly under the brow of Fort Snelling on the north side of the Minnesota river, the high rock on which the Port stands having been cut down some fifty or sixty feet to a level with the road bed, which is here some twenty-five or thirty feet above the river, and presents one of the finest spectacles to be seen, the towering and perpendicular cliff on one side and the swiftly flowing river far below on the other, while the cars glide smoothly along, hanging as it were on the verge of the hill, then passing over a line of trestlework over the Minnesota river, and the lands adjacent thereto, till it reaches Mendota, where it begins its winding way to the table lands above. Passing over another line of trestle-work, and high over the track of the Valley Railroad it winds around the hill, and passengers looking from the car windows, see in the distance to the left the city of St. Paul, which gradually is lost to view as the train moves on, and soon, on looking from the window on the right, another city greets the vision, another and yet the same,, for the train has moved around and up the hill till it is almost where it started from the depot, only higher up and going in the opposite direction, and Fort Snelling, which was passed some time since, is now standing on the right, and only across the river from where the train now stands. It is a spectacle worth a visit to the place to see. This wonderful piece of engineering, the commanding view to be had of the surrounding country from the bluffs, and the fact of its being the oldest settled town in the State, makes Mendota a place of much interest to visitors and pleasure seekers.
Photo Galleries and Videos: Mendota Bridge
| /> |
Original / Full Size Photos
|A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery offers photos in the highest available resolution and file size in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer|
| /> |
Mobile Optimized Photos
|A collection of overview and detail photos. This gallery features data-friendly, fast-loading photos in a touch-friendly popup viewer. Alternatively, Browse Without Using Viewer|
John Williamson Edit
John Williamson (November 10, 1951 - November 30, 1996) was an American basketball player.
Williamson played high school basketball at Wilbur Cross High School in New Haven, Connecticut and played college basketball at New Mexico State University. He was a 6'2" guard. Williamson was drafted by the Atlanta Hawks in the 6th round (10th pick) of the 1973 NBA draft but had other plans.
As a rookie Williamson landed with the New York Nets of the American Basketball Association as a free agent for the 1973-74 season. Williamson quickly entered the New York starting lineup despite being a rookie. After Williamson became a starter the team's fortunes quickly turned for the better and the team ended up winning the ABA Championship that season. Williamson was named to the 1974 ABA All-Rookie team.
Continuing with the Nets, Williamson had a remarkable performance in Game 6 of the 1976 ABA Finals. He scored 28 points, with 16 of them coming in the fourth quarter, leading the Nets to come back from 22 points behind to win the game, the series and the ABA championship.
Williamson's jersey number (23) was retired by the New Jersey/New York Nets franchise on December 7, 1990. Only four playes who were with the Nets during their ABA days have had their numbers retired by the franchise. The four are Williamson, Wendell Ladner Bill Melchionni and Julius Erving.
In 1977 Williamson was traded to the Indiana Pacers in midseason in the middle of the next season he went back to the Nets. In the 1980 season he went from the Nets to the [
In his pro career Williamson scored 9,017 points. He averaged between 11.5 and 29.5 points in every season except for his last.
As of December 2005 Williamson still holds some Nets team records in various categories.
At the age of 45 Williamson died of kidney failure related to diabetes on November 30, 1996.
Wow. That's impressive. Could you include a couple of links to sources that back up the info in the article? -Splash talk 01:55, 6 December 2005 (UTC) I have created the article see John Williamson (basketball) and thank you for your contribution! — HorsePunchKid → 龜 2005-12-06 01:54:16Z Credit: User:188.8.131.52
Restoration and Plans
One of the great appeals of traveling along the Lakeshore Path is the opportunity to view Lake Mendota. Unfortunately, over the past few decades invasive woody shrubs, such as buckthorn and honeysuckle, have grown up along the shoreline, making it almost impossible to see the lake in many parts of the path.
While some people might assume that these dense thickets of shrubs are helping to stabilize erodible banks, this is rarely the case. More often, the invasive shrubs are growing so densely that they are shading out all the plants that might otherwise cover the ground. These ground-layer plants are critically important for holding soil on steep banks and keeping wave-action or stormwater run-off from eroding the shore banks. Invasive shrubs not only degrade the ability of visitors to enjoy some of the most beautiful aspects of the Lakeshore Path, but threaten the shoreline as well.
If you look beneath a buckthorn or honeysuckle shrub, what you will notice is bare ground—so effective are these plants at preventing any competition at their feet.
Opening up views by selective removal of undesirable woody shrubs has already begun. Invasive shrub removal is followed with restoration activities to stabilize erodible banks, re-establish fertile soils, and re-introduce site-appropriate native plants. This vital view-opening and restoration work began early in the spring of 2006 and will continue for an indefinite period. Perhaps you have noticed some of the re-established views from the path near the Lakeshore Residence Halls. This important restoration work is being funded by generous gifts provided by the Class of 1953 and the Academic Fund.
Student workers install erosion control fabric to stabilize bank prior to replanting, August 2006. Photos by Daniel Einstein.
The History of Mendota, LaSalle County Illinois
The thriving city of Mendota is the result of the crossing of the Illinois Central and C.B.&Q. railroads. About the close of the summer of 1853, the Central road was completed this far, and by October or November the C.B. &Q. The site of Mendota was then an unbroken prairie. The settlement had all been made about the groves surrounding it and the prairie, now rich and productive, was then considered worthless and unfit for occupancy. Several settlers, among whom were D.D. Giles and others, were watching the course of the survey to see where the crossing would be made. This was known in the spring of 1853, and Mr. Giles, then a merchant at Homer, erected a building for a general store on what is now the west side of the street, opposite the depot. This was the first building erected on the side of Mendota.
During the summer, the brick warehouse was erected by the railroad companies. This was the first brick structure in town. The present passenger house and hotel was commenced that summer and completed sometime the following spring. Mr. Penton was appointed agent. While the workmen were constructing this and the warehouse, they purchased the greater part of their food and clothing of Mr. Stiles, crossing from the buildings to the store, what is now Main street, then grown high with grass and affording excellent pasture.
Mr. T. B. Blackstone, engineer for the Central railroad, laid out the town on section thirty-three, in township thirty-six, north of range one, east of the third principal meridian. He had purchased the south half of the section, another part was owned by the Central Railroad Company and the remainder by John West. The present express office is on the exact center of the section and from its location the surveys were made. Mr. Blackstone, now prominently connected with the Chicago, Alton & St. Louis railroad, did much to aid in the growth of the town. During the summer while the railroad was being constructed, John Kelley erected a small frame house and in it opened the primitive hotel of town. A man named Cheek opened a saloon, a shop or two was added and the town was becoming a reality. The railroad company claimed the right of naming all stations on their line, hence the number of Indian names. This place was known as the "Junction" and the company gave to it the Indian name "Mendota," meaning "connection" or "joined to." It was applied by the aborigines to the junction of rivers and was the name given by them, more especially to the junction of the St. Peters River with the Mississippi, just below the falls of St. Anthony.
The two railway corporations had gangs of men working on all points from Mendota. These obtained their goods here and the settlers in the groves about the junction came here with their product, and getting goods in exchange soon made a brisk trade. The enterprising spirits then in business quickly saw the town that must arise and though many of them had vague ideas of the practical use of a railroad, thinking passenger traffic would be the main business and that it would aid them in their efforts to erect a town, they exerted all mans in their power to create a large place.
Hence, during the winter of 1853-54 and the summer following, an unprecedented growth was seen. Nothing was heard but the sound of carpenter's tools and by the autumn of 1854 the population was nearly one thousand. That summer the brewery was started by Dietrich Volk as the location of town was low and we, he fitted up a cellar at Homer, where he stored his beer.
A drug store was opened by Haass and Erb, on the corner of Main and Jefferson streets. It is now occupied by Max A.F. Haass. This same time Dr. Gorham opened another drug store in a building north of Wilson's scales. A meat market was established in the autumn of 1853 by Longdon & Douglass and in 1854 a second was opened by Tompkins & Peart.
The first hotel of town has been noticed. It was built by John Kelley in 1853 and was sold to Mrs. Shedd the next summer. The depot hotel was erected during the winter of 1853-54, and was opened by Mr. Pelton in May of the latter year. The German House was built by G. Pohl in 1854 and was moved in 1867 to make room for his block. John Hess erected the Humboldt House during the summer of 1854 and kept it until a few years ago. A hotel was built immediately after the completion of the Mendota House by a Mr. Conklin on the lot now used for Kinney's lumber yard.
Finding the town was not coming that way, Mr. Conklin soon moved his building to the spot now occupied by Kellenberger's office. It was afterwards known as Reed's Hotel and was burned in 1862. Mr. Furhman came to the village in the summer of 1853 and opened a harness shop. As business then was not good, owing to the custom of using oxen, he soon sold and removed to Minnesota, where he remained till 1857 when he returned and has been in business since.
In the summer of 1854, a trade in lumber was started and for some years was the most important branch of business in town.
The rapid increase of settlers during the winter of 1853 and the summer following led the residents to see the need of a town government. In the spring of 1855, meetings were held agitating the question and before June an election for Town Trustees was held, which resulted in the choice of the following gentlemen: J. H. Adams, Sampson Lamb, U.B. Golliday, C.H. Johnson and D.G. Bly. The first mentioned of these was chosen President of the Board at their preliminary meeting on June 18th, and the last named was elected Clerk. The first meeting of this board for business was held on July 6th, when the boundaries of the town were defined, ordinances were passed for the granting of licenses, grading of street, and their limits, for the collection of taxes, making of sidewalks, etc.
The limits of the village, then containing some three or four hundred inhabitants, were declared to be the sectional lines of section 33, which would accord with the survey of Mr. Blackstone, when he platted the town. This original plat has since received several additions. During the summer of 1855 building went on with great rapidity. The practical benefits of the railroads were being felt it was discovered they could carry freight as well as passengers and if not as cheaply as the canal, much quicker. The active minds of the early settlers were ready for any move in their interest and Mendota was fast growing in population, business and wealth.
Stores of every kind were being erected and occupied, while mechanics' shops arose on almost every street corner.
During the war, the town was an exceptionably good shipping point. By the Illinois Central Railroad large quantities of army supplies were sent South and from the commencement of the war until 1866 the population more than doubled.
In 1865 Tewksbury & Carpenter established the present organ manufactory. They then occupied but oen room and employed but few hands. In 1875, a stock company with a capital of $100,000 was formed and the present works occupied. They now (1877) employ over one hundred hands and sell several thousand instruments annually.
The Union Mills were erected at Troy Grove in 1859 by Mr. John Gregg. In 1864, he removed them to Mendota and has now an extensive business.
The Eagle Mills were built several years ago by Frank Kortick, who used the building for a carpenter shop. In 1870 it was purchased by Mr. Linsott, who converted it into a mill.
The Mendota Bank was organized as early as 1856 but the resident partner moving to Chicago, two years after, the business of the bank was gradually wound up, by Mr. G. M. Price. In 1860, Kelsey & Price reorganized the bank and continued until 1871 when Mr. Kelsey retired and Mr. Erlenborn took his place and remained until 1874 when Mr. Price assumed control and conducted its affairs until the present summer, when he closed up the business to enter another branch of trade. The First National Bank was organized in 1865 with a capital of $65,000. Col. E. A. Bowen was chosen President and E.W. Fassett, Cashier. The first year Mr. Fassett resigned and Mr. Gifford was elected to the vacancy. Mr. Bowen and Mr. Gifford are still connected with the institution. In 1873, the stock was increased to $125,000 and the bank is now one of the strongest in the State. The Germania Bank was established in 1874 by A. & J.M. Erlenborn, with John Goedtner as Cashier. The bank is now doing a good business.
The oil works of H.S. Clark & Co. were established in 1869, by Mr. Wells. They are now enjoying an extensive trade.
An excellent planing mill was started here in 1866 and another added a few years ago. Two cigar manufactories are in operation and two wholesale liquor stores, while a large number of saloons are supported.
One year ago, a button factory was established, by a company representing at capital of $8,000. Mr. Herrick is Superintendent and General Manager. The company have established a good trade.
In addition to these industries mentioned the city supports a large number of stores and shops of all kinds and the trade of Mendota in all its branches must aggregate an immense yearly sum of money.
The population by the winter of 1866 was fully two thousand and steps were taken to secure a city government under the general State law. The election to decide this step was held on March 4th, 1867, at which time 238 votes were cast in favor of the city corporation and 64 against. On the 11th the board of trustees met for the last time, divided the city into four wards and defined their boundaries and provided for an election to choose city officers to be held on April 9th. On this date Boyd Lowe was elected Mayor George Guy, City Clerk Thomas Forester, City Marshal E. A. Bowen, Treasurer D.Y. Lowe, Assessor and Collector D.A. Cook Attorney and Jacob Nisley Supervisor. The aldermen for the first ward were Wm. Wyrick, Geo. M. Price, and Frank Meisenbach for the second ward they were E.A. Bowen, Wm. Van Vleit and Frank R. Jewell for the third J. W. Edward, Perkey Stone and Patrick Dunn and for the fourth John Gilman, G.W. Jones and J. M. Hall.
The city government was now complete and is yet maintained. This form of rule was an additional source of gain to Mendota, as by it enterprising citizens were in a measure assured of aid in the management of large business interests.
The Present Mendota City Officers (1877)
May, M. A. McKey City Clerk, J. O. Sanford City Marshall, Thos. Forristall City Supervisor, J. L. Nisley City Attorney, W. Evans City Treasurer, J. L. Watkins. Board of Aldermen 1st ward, Samuel Dudgeon, David Frank, E.C. Quimby 2d ward, E. B. Carpenter, A. Hoffman, L. Marks 3d ward P. Dunn, E. Coleman, P. Castle 4th ward, M.S. Andress, N. Linus, S.E. Rogers. Township officers: Supervisors, L. Marks, Stephen Arnold Clerk, Geo. Guy Assessor, W.W. Kopfer Collector, D. C. Andress.
The schools have, like the town, sprung rapidly into existence. The earliest school in town was held in a small frame structure, erected in 1854 on the site of the present City Hall. The rapid growth of the town necessitated the erection of an additional house, and a similar edifice was erected in the eastern part of town. In 1858 more room was demanded and the present City Hall was built. This, with the aid of a few small houses rented for temporary use, supplied the necessary room until 1867 when the present commodious school house on the east side was completed. The next year that on the west side was finished. These cost about $35,000, and are an ornament to the city. Several small one-room buildings have been erected in parts of town convenient to the residents to accommodate the small pupils, who are instructed a year or two in these when too small to go the distance required to attend the large buildings. Thirteen teachers are employed. Several private academies and schools have been opened from time to time in town, but the increased growth of the public schools superseded these and they finally abandoned the attempts to establish their schools.
The Presbyterian Church was organized in the old school house, already described on August 26th, 1855, with five members. They were William and Anna Smith, Hannah B. Fisk, Mr. Scullen and James McDowell. The two latter are the only ones yet communicants here. The organization was made by Rev. John Fleming and Rev. C.R. Fisk. In June 1856, the first pastor, Rev. James S. Henderson, was settled here and remained until 1861, when his death occurred. He was succeeded by Rev. Robert C. Colmery and then by Rev. S. H. Weller. At present Rev. N. S. Dickey is supplying the pulpit. They worshipped in the school house a short time and then in the present Library Hall. In 1856 they completed their present house of worship, which they have since used. The membership is now one hundred and sixty and the attendance at Sunday school very good. Since the organization until the present time four hundred and ten persons have been admitted to membership in this church. In 1866 nineteen were received from the Second Presbyterian Church, which that year united with this congregation.
In 1855 the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized with about twelve members, two of whom, James Kenworthy and Nancy Bates, are still communicants. They were organized in the old school house, where all the denominations met, and where they had one Sunday school in common. Here the Methodist society worshipped a few months and then went to Hasting's Hall, where they organized their Sunday school and elected Rev. Wm. Edwards, now an old man, and an early resident of Mendota, its superintendent. In 1857 or 1858 they erected their church edifice which they yet occupy. Their first pastor was Rev. U.P. Golliday, who presided at the organization. The present pastor is Rev. F. A. Reed. There are now one hundred and sixty members and an attendance of two hundred scholars at the Sunday school.
The Church of the Holy Cross, German Catholic, was organized in the school house, about 1858, with seventeen families. The priest was Father Murphy, who had also organized the Irish Catholics in 1854. They met in various places until 1869, when they completed a house of worship, a very commodious brick structure, costing about $8,000, which they now occupy. Their membership includes about ninety families, and a Sunday school of over fifty scholars. The priest is Father Cronaur. The Irish Catholic congregation is one of the oldest in Mendota. As soon the labor on the railroads made this a central point, Father Murphy came and organized a church. This was early in 1854. They had then about fifty members and met for service whenever they could find a room. In 1858 or 1859 they erected their present house of worship and now have a good Sunday school and a membership of over one hundred.
The Baptist church is the largest in Mendota, numbering at present two hundred and eighty-seven members and a Sunday school of nearly three hundred pupils. This congregation was organized October 28, 1854, at the house of Rev. N. Denison, with six members. These Were Rev. Denison, Moses Dix, Richard and Orson Waste, Reuben Spencer and George A. Richmond. In a few days eleven others united making seventeen persons in all. They met for divine service in the public school house, then in a ware house and next in a ball, until the completion of their house of worship. This was erected in 1856, and used until 1869, when the growth of the congregation necessitated a larger one and the present structure was erected. The old one was added to its rear and is used as a lecture room. The Rev. Denison lived only one month after the organization. His successors here have been Rev. S. B. Gilbert, fourteen years Rev. W. M. Haigh, four and one-half years Rev. T.T. Potter, two years, and the present pastor, Rev. T.M. Colwell, who is now serving his second year.
The German Evangelical church was organized in 1867 with about twenty members. Their earliest meetings were held in the school house and in private houses. In 1868 they erected the house of worship they now occupy. The membership has increased to over eighty and the Sunday school attendance to something over that number, the Rev. Charles Lindemann is the present pastor.
The German Lutheran Church was organized in the spring of 1858, in a public hall, with thirty-five members, by the Rev. Hilldenbrend. They met here about one year, when they built their present structure. The old church is used for a German school building. The membership is now about the same as when organized. The Sunday school contains about seventy pupils. The Rev. Mr. Hampelmann is the present pastor.
The United Brethren church is the youngest religious organization in town. It was organized in July, 1875 with nine members. These were Daniel Faler and wife, A. Shouk and wife, J. and Mrs. Billings, Archey Williams and Rev. U.D. Wood and wife. The first pastor was Rev. J.G. Designer, who remained until the autumn of 1876, when he was succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. C. Wendle. There are now about fifty members and a Sunday school of over one hundred scholars. This congregation purchased the church built by the New School Presbyterians and soon after purchased by the Congregationalists, when the Presbyterian churches were united, who, not being able to sustain an organization here, sold their church and disbanded the congregation.
The German Lutheran Seminary
This institution is about one mile east of the Mendota depot and was opened about three years ago by the German Lutherans, who started at that time a Theological Seminary. The building was erected in 1856 for a Female Seminary and for some time a good school was maintained. The Lutheran church, under whose care it was fostered, removed the endowment and the institution went down. It remained closed until the German Lutherans purchased the building at the time mentioned and opened their present school. A good attendance is now maintained and the seminary is in a flourishing condition. In 1857, the Lutherans opened a church here and erected the present house of worship. When the College passed into the control of the German Lutherans, they gained also the church which is now conducted in connection with the Seminary, divine services generally being conducted by the College professors. Both College and church is a credit to Mendota.
This is one of the most prominent and potent educators of the town. The project of establishing a library was discussed by the more prominent citizens for some time before the year 1870, but not till this time did it receive an active form. On April 27th, 1870, Mrs. Maria Simpson, Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Smith, Miss A. L. John, Miss Mary Crocker, Dr. Woodbridge, Wm. Edwards, E. A. Bowen, Joseph Hunter and Dr. J. A. Hoffman, met to consider the question and to decide upon some line of action. On May 7th, they met again and the Mendota Library Association was formed, with a capital of one hundred dollars, and a charter obtained. Seven trustees were appointed, of whom Dr. J. A. Hoffman was made President, James Hunter, Secretary and E. A. Bowen, Treasurer. By means of festivals, a course of lectures and other means, money was raised to obtain the first installment of books. In the winter of 1873, Mr. and Mrs. Willard Graves, who had been warm friends of the Library cause, came forward, and very generously presented, the Association with the proceeds of the sale of a farm, two thousand dollars cash, and a mortgage, bearing interest, of seven hundred dollars. In addition to this, they gave a deed to the Library building and lot, the entire donation being' valued at about $6,000. This munificent gift met with a response from the Lecture Association, who gave all their funds, $150, and from the Mendota Lyceum, who gave theirs, $100. A committee was at once appointed and sent to Chicago, 'who purchased seventeen hundred books, and on their return the Library building was put in order and formerly opened on September Sth, 1874. They 'were then free of debt, and had about $700 bearing interest, and the membership had grown to about forty. The memberships were placed at five dollars each and entitles the person to life privileges and the free use of the Looks. There are now over two thousand volumes on the shelves, and nearly two hundred members enjoying' the privilege of reading them. The librarian is Mr. L. D. Moody. The building is open every Tuesday and. Saturday.
The pioneer paper of Mendota was the Mendota Press, the first number of 'which was issued June 26, 1855, by O. R. Fisk, editor and proprietor. He afterwards sold to the Andrews Brothers, who ran it a short time and sold it to a Princeton firm They soon sold it to a Mr. Bond, who changed the name to the Observer. Mr. Bond sold to Crooker & Beck, who, after running it one year, closed the office. After it had remained closed a year and a half, .Mr. Crooker sold the office to Mr. Ruggles in 1863, who changed the name to the Bulletin which paper he still publishes.
A paper caned the Chronicle was started in 1869, by Snell & Merrill. F. D. Ford soon afterwards purchased Merrill's interest, and a little later Snell's. In 1870, he consolidated with the Bulletin, 'where he remained until 1874, when he started the News, which on Dec. 2G, 1876, was purchased by the present editor, Wm. Parker.
In 1858 a German paper, called the Mendota Democrat was started by Frank Meisenbach and G. Pool the next year they sold to an Ottawa firm, who took it to that city.
Some time before the war a paper was started by Mr. Fisk, called the Times. Mr. Fisk, being a warm sympathizer with the south, was compelled one night in 1861, by a company drumming for recruits, to make a speech and to run up the stars and stripes. In June his paper collapsed.
The city of Mendota, being at the junction and being the terminus of a branch of the C., B. & Q., enjoys excellent privileges as a shipping point. The trade of the city extends over much territory, and absorbs the choice trade of the small towns adjacent to it, to many of which it sells goods by the wholesale.
Mendota Caseno Society. Officers: Jacob Kohl, President M. Stern, Secretary E. Wohlers, Treasurer. Meets first Tuesday evening of each month.
Allemania Lodge No. 411. Officers: Jacob Kohl, N. G. G. Fisher, V. G. A. Henne, Secretary, Recording Secretary D. Yolk, Treasurer. Meets each Thursday evening
Mendota Turnverein. Officers: C. Henning, First Speaker John Hardall, Second Speaker Theo. Giere, Secretary John Wilmeroth, Treasurer Caspar Ruedy, Cashier Jacob Reul, Turnwart. .Meets every Tuesday and Friday evening.
Bethany Commandery No. 28, K. T. Officers: J. ,V. Edwards, E. C. C. Ruedy, Gen. Wm. Hall, Capt. Gen. L. Goodwin, S. ,W. B. :Moss, Capt. G. Meets first Friday evening in each month.
Mendota Lodge No. 416,1. O. of G. T. Officers: C. H.. Scofield, W.C.T. Mrs. H. K. Gallup, W. V. T. Joscphus Gallup, W. S. Mrs. M. F. Evans, W.T.S.. S. Schouse, Treasurer John Lark, ,W.M. Ida Evans, D. M. . Meets every Thursday evening.
Star Templars No.2, U. O. of A. T. P. J. Forrest, T.: Mrs. Pierce, V. T. S. Schouse, P. T. C.H. Scofield, Rec. Geo. Shiettell, F. Mrs. Geo. Shettel1, Treas. Chas. Pierce, M. Mrs. H. O. Adams, Lecturer. Meets every Tuesday evening. .
Mendota Lodge No. 176, A.F. and A. M. Officers: Wm. Jenkins, W.M. J. Scheidenhelm, S.W. James Clark, J.W. S. Femburg, Treasl Fred. Haskell, Sec'y B. Moss, Tyler. Meets second and fourth Tuesday evenings.
Mendota Chapter No. 79, R. A. M. Officers: E. Rice, H. P. J. W. Edwards, E. K. Geo. W. Tewksbury, E. S. C. Ruedy, Capt. H. Wm. Jenkins, R. A. C. S. Fembnrg, Treas. Fred. Haskell, Sec'y B. Moss, Capt. of G. .Meets second Tuesday evening in each mouth.
Mendota Council No. 32, R. and S. M. Officers: J. W. Edwards, J. G. M C. Ruedy, Deputy R. Gilmore, P. O. of W. B. Moss, Sentinel.