History Podcasts

Thomas Bury

Thomas Bury

Thomas Bury was born in 1811. After training as an architect under A.W.N. Pugin, Bury became an artist. In 1831 two sets of prints were published of his paintings of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. The books published by Rudolf Ackerman were a great success and it has been argued that they are the best known pictures of railways ever produced. Despite the success of his railway pictures, Bury never returned to this subject during the rest of his career. Thomas Bury died in 1877.


Bury, Lancashire

Bury, a municipal, parliamentary, and county borough and parish in Lancashire. The town was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1876, and has a mayor, 10 aldermen, and 30 councillors. It is divided into five wards, has a commission of the peace, and was extended by the Bury Improvement Act of 1885. Bury lies on the river Irwell, 2 miles above its confluence with the Roach, and 8 NNW of Manchester. The Bury, Bolton, and Manchester canal goes south-westward, and railways go westward, northward, eastward, and southward. A Roman station is thought by some to have been on the town's site, a Saxon fort seems certainly to have been here, and a baronial castle of early date stood in Castle Croft in the town's vicinity, and was demolished in 1644 by the troops of Cromwell. The manor belonged in the time of Henry II. to John de Lacy, and passed successively to the Burys, the Pilkingtons, and the Stanleys. A muster of 20,000 men iu the Royalist cause was made in 1642 on a heath in the neighbourhood by Lord Strange, afterwards Earl of Derby.

The town was described in 1738 as "a little market town" but it must then have been only a village, and it has risen rapidly to magnitude under manufacturing enterprise. Formerly it contained old dilapidated buildings, and had a dingy appearance but it has undergone great improvement by rebuilding of houses, by formation of new streets, and by construction of drainage works, and it now presents a well-built and cleanly appearance, is well lighted, and plentifully supplied with water. The market-place, constructed in 1840,is covered with a roof of wrought iron and glass. A bronze statue of Sir Robert Peel on a massive pedestal of granite was erected in the old market-place in 1852 at a cost of £3000. The town-hall is a handsome edifice in the Italian style, contains an assembly room 54 feet by 36, and includes court-houses and police office. The Athenaum, adjoining the town-hall, erected in 1851, is a handsome building, and contains a hall 85 feet by 43, a museum 43 feet by 30, class-rooms, library, and reading-rooms. The banking offices, the savings bank, the railway station, the public baths, and the grammar school are good buildings. The parish church of St Mary's, said to have been erected at the end of the 10th century, was rebuilt in 1780, and had a tower and spire rebuilt in 1844 the present building, was erected in 1871-1876 at a cost of £25,000, raised by subscription. St John's Church was built in 1770, St Paul's in 1841, Holy Trinity in 1865, St Thomas' in 1867 the last is a structure in the Gothic style with lofty tower and spire St Mark's was built in 1884. St Stephen's Church, a Wesleyan chapel, and a Roman Catholic chapel are handsome edifices. There are four Congregational, three Baptist, twelve Methodist, a Unitarian, a Swedenborgian, and two Roman Catholic chapels a cemetery (1869), comprising 33 acres, with two mortuary chapels a grammar school, founded in 1726, and with an endowed income of about £800, and three exhibitions at the universities, and a choristers' school connected with it an hospital and a dispensary, erected in 1882 by public subscription, public recreation grounds, formed in 1886, and a theatre, erected in 1889. The town has a post, money order, and telegraph office, two railway stations, several banks, many good inns, a weekly market on Saturday, and three annual fairs, is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and publishes two weekly newspapers.

Woollen manufacture was formerly the principal industry of the town, and is still carried on in several large factories. Cotton manufacture in various departments, which is now the staple, received a great impulse from inventions by two natives, John and Robert Kay, and from the enterprise of the late Sir Robert Peel's father, and maintains at present numerous factories for spinning and weaving, printing and bleaching, and for dyeing. There are also several iron-foundries, machine-making works, hat-making houses, and other manufacturing establishments. The surface is hilly, and the strata yield coal and building stone. The town formerly returned two members to Parliament, but under the Reform Act of 1832 it now sends only one member to the House of Commons. Its boundaries, in addition to all Bury township, include part of the township of Elton. Area of the parliamentary borough, 4368 acres population, 55,491 area of the county borough, 6028 acres population, 57,212.

The parish includes the townships of Bury, Eiton, Heap, Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth, Tottington-Lower-End, Tottington-Higher-End, Musbury, Musden Head, and the Tripit of Ogden, and Coupe Lench, with Newhall-Hey and Hall-Carr. Area of civil parish of Bury, 2330 acres population, 41,038 of the ecclesiastical parish of Holy Trinity, 6147 St John, 5945 St Mark, 8344 St Mary, 4480 St Paul, 6899 St Peter, 4409 and St Thomas, 4834. St Mary's Is a rectory St John's, St Paul's, Holy Trinity, and St Mark's are vicarages. St Peter's and St Thomas' are perpetual curacies, in the diocese of Manchester value of St Mary's, £1500 of St John's, £400 of St Paul's, £300 of Holy Trinity, £343 of St Thomas', £293 of St Mark's, £300 of St Peter's, £304. Patron of St Mary's, the Earl of Derby, and of the others, the Rector. Chamber Hall, in the vicinity of the town, was the birthplace of the late Sir Robert Peel.


The Cole Family History

I have been tracing the Cole's for over 30 years and have most of the parishes in Devon and Cornwall. This is just a small amount of information I have found about the family or the families they married into. Please feel free to contact me if you have any Cole queries from Devon or Cornwall. Most of the Cole's in my data base are before the 1800's except my direct line. Contact me at [email protected]

They were one of the largest land owners in Devon, Cornwall and Somerset according to the records of parliament up until the late 1500's early 1600's. Most of the lands were given in marriage settlements.

I have found marriages to some of the well known families in the west country, such as the Courtney's, Arundell's, Edgecombe's, Treymaine's, Grenville, Raleigh, Drake, Gilbert, Hele, Durnford and Moreshead's there are more.

Sir Francis Drakes Grandmother was Margaret Cole, her father John was also the Grandfather of Sir Walter Raleigh, Sir Richard Grenville, Joan Durnford, Joan married into the Egdecombe family

I have found a lovely website made by Howard Cole, it has a lot of history of the Cole family at

My webpage is information I have found that may not be mentioned on Howard's website.

This is some of the details I have found about the Cole's in Devon and Cornwall

Trevenna, some time a seat of the Mohuns, is now the property of Joseph Grigg. Mennabroom, formerly a seat of the Coles, is now a farm-house, the property of John Buller, Esq. Hole is the property and residence of Mr. John Rundle.

Ancient Families, of which the principal Branch is extinct, or removed, since 1620, yet some of the Descendants remain in the County.

Arms: Argent, a bull passant, Sab., within a border of the second, bezanty.

Sir George Southcote, of Shillingford, eldest son of Thomas Southcote, of Indiho, by his third wife, married a co-heiress of Cole, of Buckland Touissaints, and was ancestor of the late John Henry Southcote, Esq., who sold Buckland, and died in 1820.

From: 'General history: Families removed since 1620', Magna Britannia: volume 6: Devonshire (1822), pp. CLXXIII-CCXXV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50555&strquery=Cole%20of%20Cornwall

Hody, of Netheway, in Brixham. Sir John Hody, of Stowel, in Somersetshire, acquired this place in marriage with the heiress of Cole, who had a residence also at Pillesdon, in Dorsetshire his son, Sir John Hody, Chief Justice of the King's Bench, married the heiress of Jewe, of Whitfield, and Beerhall, in Devon the posterity of his elder son continued at Netheway for several descents. John Hody, Esq., sold Netheway in 1696, and left Devon. Edmund Hody, M. D., of this branch, was of London in 1750. Hugh and Arthur, two younger sons of Christopher Hody, Esq., of Netheway, who wrote their name Huddy, were of Brixham in 1620: the co-heiresses of Hugh married Burland, of Dorsetshire, and Hody, of Northover, in Somersetshire. Sir William Hody, second son of the Lord Chief Justice, was Chief Baron of the Exchequer, and ancestor of the Hody's of Pillesdon, in Dorsetshire, and Crewkerne, in Somersetshire. Robert Hody, Esq., who was of Crewkerne in the reign of Queen Elizabeth, had two sons John, the elder, who was of Beer-hall, (Thorncombe,) in Devon, left an only daughter married to Bowditch the next son was ancestor of the Hodys, of Northover, in Somersetshire of which branch was the learned Dr. Humphry Hody, archdeacon of Oxford, who died in 1706.

Arms of Hody: Argent, a fesse party, per fesse indented, V. and S. between two cottises counterchanged.

Carminow of Carminow in Mawgan (Meneage), said to have been settled there before the conquest, but not traced with any certainty further back than the reign of Henry III. The male line of the elder branch became extinct about the middle of the fourteenth century, when the coheiresses married Arundell, Trewarthian, and Petit. The coheiresses of a younger branch, which settled at Boconnoc as early as the reign of Edward III., married Carew and Courtenay about the latter part of the fifteenth century. A younger branch of the Carminows of Boconnoc settled at Fentongollan, and became possessed of very extensive landed property, which was dissipated about the year 1600. This branch, not long afterwards, became extinct the coheiresses married Salter and Cole (fn. 6) . The coheiresses of a younger branch of the Carminows of Fentongollan (settled at Resprin in St. Winnow) married Prideaux and Flamanck. This branch, descended from Walter, a third son of Walter Carminow of Boconnoc, married the heiress of Resprin and coheiresses of Trenowth and Champernon Nicholas, a younger son of this branch, married a coheiress of Wolvedon. The heiresses of another younger branch of the Fentongollan family (settled at Trenowth) married Boscawen and Herle. A third branch of this family was of Polmawgan in St. Winnow, whence they removed to Trehannick in St. Teath, at which place William Carminow, the last male heir of this ancient family, died in the year 1646 Thomas Carminow, of this branch, married the coheiress of Hilliard. The common ancestor of the Carminows married the heiress of Rawleigh. The Boconnoc branch, before the Fentongollan family branched off, married the heiresses of Glynn and Tynten. The Fentongollan branch married the heiress of Resprin and the coheiress of Trenowth, who inherited Fentongollan from Trejago.

From: 'General history: Extinct gentry families', Magna Britannia: volume 3: Cornwall (1814), pp. CXVIII-CLXXIV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50618&strquery=Cole%20%20of%20St%20Neot

Cole married a coheiress of Carminow. Arms:Arg. a bull passant, Gules, on a border Sable, eight bezants.

From: 'General history: Extinct gentry families', Magna Britannia: volume 3: Cornwall (1814), pp. CXVIII-CLXXIV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50618&strquery=Cole%20%20of%20St%20Neot

After treating of the Cornish families, Dr. Borlase, in one of his manuscripts, observes: "It is a melancholy reflection to look back on so many great families (fn. 22) as have formerly adorned the county of Cornwall, and are now no more the Grenvilles, the Arundells, Carminows, Champernons, Bodrugans, Mohuns, Killegrews, Bevilles, Trevanions, which had great sway and possessions in these parts. The most lasting families have only their seasons, more or less, of a certain constitutional strength. They have their spring, and summersunshine glare, their wane, decline, and death they flourish and shine perhaps for ages at last they sicken their light grows pale, and, at a crisis when the off-sets are withered and the old stock is blasted, the whole tribe disappears, and leaves the world as they have done Cornwall. There are limits ordained to every thing under the sun: Man will not abide in honour. Of all human vanities, family-pride is one of the weakest. Reader, go thy way secure thy name in the book of life, where the page fades not, nor the title alters nor expiresleave the rest to Heralds and the ParishRegister."

From: 'General history: Extinct gentry families', Magna Britannia: volume 3: Cornwall (1814), pp. CXVIII-CLXXIV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=50618&strquery=Cole%20%20of%20St%20Neot

Parishes
Otterham - Probus

POUGHILL, in the hundred of Stratton, and in the deanery of Trigg-Major, lies one mile north-west from Stratton. The manor was given by Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent, to the abbey of Clive in Somersetshire: it was sold by King James I. to George Salter and John Williams: Dr. Borlase says, that it belonged in his time to Mr. John Stanbury of Broomhill: it is now the property of Thomas Trood, Esq., who purchased it of the late John Cunyngham Saunders, Esq., an eminent surgeon in London, well known by his institution of a hospital for diseases of the eye, and his improvements in that department of surgery. This manor consists only of a royalty, which extends over the parish, there being neither lands nor rent belonging to it.

William of Worcester, in his Itinerary of Cornwall, written in the reign of Edward IV., relates that, in the year 1437, Nicholas Radford, counsel for the Lord Bonville against Thomas Earl of Devon, was slain in his own house at Poughill, by Thomas, eldest son of the said Earl, who afterwards succeeded to the title.

Flexbury, in this parish, the residence of Mr. Ralph Cole, belongs to the Rev. Charles Dayman. Maer is the property and residence of Richard Martyn Braddon, Esq. Broomhill, the property and late residence of Thomas Trood, Esq. Reeds has been lately built by John Vikry Jose, Esq., for his own residence.

The well-known battle of Stratton was fought in this parish, near the town of Stratton, on a hill called, from its having been the position of the Earl of Stamford, the parliamentary general, Stamford's Hill (fn. 38) : in the year 1713, a monument was erected on this spot, with the following inscription,"In this place the army of the rebels under the command of the Earl of Stamford received a signal overthrow by the valour of Sir Beville Granville and the Cornish army, on Tuesday the 6th of May 1643, by George Lord Lansdowne, comptroller of the household, and one of the principal secretaries of state." This monument was taken down before the memory of any one now living: the tablet containing the inscription was removed to Stratton, and fixed on the front of the market-house when some alterations were made in that building, it was again removed, and placed in the front of the Tree inn, where it still remains.

The great tithes of Poughill, which were appropriated to the priory of Launceston, have been sold in severalties those of Flexbury, Hollabury, Coumbe, and Coumbe-parks, belong to George Boughton Kingdon, Esq. The vicarage is in the gift of the crown.

During the following 200-300 years the family expanded in Devon, becoming prominent citizens through knighthood, and by marrying heraldic heiresses and thusly acquiring land(12).About the year 1500 a branch of the family became resident in Sudbury, Suffolk, and a branch of that family went to Winchester.

CORNWALLS, or EVER CORNWALLIS MANOR, which in 1086 was included under the principal manor, probably acquired its separate identity when the honour of Wallingford was seized by Henry II. Unlike Iver Manor, it remained attached to the honour until about the middle of the 14th century, when it was held of Iver Manor, this overlordship being last mentioned in 1525.

The manor was held in demesne in 1254 by Richard Earl of Cornwall,who subinfeudated it to his illegitimate son Richard Cornwall. By 1300 Richard had been succeeded by his son Geoffrey, who married Margaret Mortimer, and in 1328 settled the manor on their son Richard and his wife Sibyl in tail-male. Geoffrey Cornwall died in 1335 and Richard in 1343, his widow Sibyl surviving until 1349, when Iver passed to their son Geoffrey, aged fourteen, to whom Alan Clavering was appointed guardian in 1350. Geoffrey entered into the manor on the attainment of his majority in 1357, and died in 1365, leaving a son Brian, a minor, and a widow Cecilia, who died in 1369. On Brian's death without issue in 1400 his brother Richard Cornwall succeeded, and left as heir at his death in 1443 Thomas Cornwall, son of his son Edmund. Thomas Cornwall was attainted in 1461 and forfeited the manor, which was granted in 1468, under the name of Cornwalls Manor, to John Shuckborough and Nicholas Clevely for life. In 1473 Edmund son of Thomas Cornwall regained his father's lands, which he left to his son Thomas at his death in 1489. In 1506 Sir Thomas Cornwall alienated Cornwalls Manor to trustees, from whom it was acquired by William Haddon. The latter died seised of it in 1521, leaving a son Thomas, during whose minority his guardian William Saunders fraudulently withheld money due to the king. Thomas Haddon appears in 1540 to have mortgaged Cornwalls to the Windsors, but conveyed the reversion to Robert Wolman, who in 1568 transferred his right in it to Edward Nelson and others. William Onslow, however, claimed that Wolman had conveyed the reversion to him, and he in 1570 alienated the manor to James Heblethwaite and Percival Haddon, the latter shortly afterwards renouncing his right in it. James Heblethwaite won the case brought to settle the ownership of the estate, and conveyed the manor in 1591 to Richard Barton. By 1617 it had come into the possession of Edward afterwards Sir Edward Salter and Ursula his wife.Sir Edward settled the greater part of his estates in Iver on his son Sir William and his issue by his first wife Mary Shirland, and died in 1647. Sir William having predeceased him, the manor descended to the latter's second but first surviving son and heir Christopher Salter. On Christopher's death without issue in the following year his sister and heir Elizabeth inherited Cornwalls. Her husband Thomas Cole was fined,20 pounds as a Royalist in 1649, and on his discharge in 1653 he and his wife transferred their rights in Cornwalls Manor to Anne Salter, Elizabeth's stepmother. By 1695 the manor had come to Thomas and Richard Berenger, by whom it was sold in 1699 to Christopher Tower, who died in 1728, when it passed to his son Christopher. The latter died in 1771, leaving a son Christopher, who broke the entail in 1778. He held Cornwalls Manor until his death in 1810, when he was succeeded by his son, another Christopher, who was sheriff for the county in 1840. On his death in 1867 his estates passed to his son Christopher, M.P. for Buckinghamshire 1845, who died in 1884. His son Mr. Christopher John Hume Tower is the present owner of this estate.

"Ordered, by the Lords and Commons, &c. That Richard Cole Esquire be Sheriff of the County of Som'sett and that the Commissioners of the Great Seal of England do issue a Commission to him, to be Sheriff of the said County, accordingly."

Parishes
Mabe - Maddern

Heligan belonged formerly to the Hills, and seems to have been acquired by marriage with the heiress of Fantleroy, who married the heiress of Thomas Flamank. About the middle of the seventeenth century, Heligan, which is now a farmhouse, was the seat of the family of Silly. It was sold by Miss Julia Silly (now wife of William Lyddon, Esq.) to E. J. Glynn, Esq., the present proprietor. Tredethy, some time the seat of the families of May and Lang, is now the property and residence of Francis John Hext, Esq. Penwyn, some time a seat of the Porters, is now the property and residence of Mr. William Cole, whose family have possessed it for a considerable time

De Wenn or Dewen of Gwinnear, traced three generations before 1620, married a coheiress of Culland.The present male representative of this family is Mr. James Dewen, surgeon and apothecary at Marazion. Mr. F. Cole, son of the late Captain F. Cole, of the Royal Navy, is the representative of the elder branch, by female descent.

Arms of Dewen:Arg. on a chevron - - - - three trefoils - - - -.

House of Commons Journal Volume 4
1 December 1646

The Lords Concurrence to be desired herein.

Resolved, &c. That this House doth nominate and appoint Richard Cole Esquire to be Sheriff of the County of Somersett: And that the Commissioners for the Great Seal of England do issue a Commission to him to be Sheriff of the said County accordingly.

From: 'House of Commons Journal Volume 4: 1 December 1646', Journal of the House of Commons: volume 4: 1644-1646 (1802), pp. 732-34. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=23835&strquery=Cole%20of%20Cornwall

House of Commons Journal Volume 9
10 November 1670

Ordered, That Sir Richard Cole, Richard Lamerton, and Thom. Coning, be sent for in Custody of the Serjeant at Arms, or his Deputy, for their Breach of Privilege, making a forcible Entry upon the House and Land of Mr. Henry Seymoure, a Member of this House, at Lanracke in Cornwall and turning his Servants out of Possession

From: 'House of Commons Journal Volume 9: 10 November 1670', Journal of the House of Commons: volume 9: 1667-1687 (1802), pp. 161-62. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=27217&strquery=Cole%20of%20Cornwall

Bury, of Doniton in Swimbridge.Bury in Lapford was the original residence of the ancient family of Bury, the elder branch of which remained there in 1630, but it is probable that they possessed also Coleton in Chulmleigh, which came by the heiress of Cole in the reign of Richard II. and is described as their seat in the Heralds' visitation of 1620. Doniton subsequently belonged to them. The heiress of Giffard, of Yeo, married into this family. Thomas Bury, Esq., the last heir-male, died in 1804 he married a co-heiress of Molineux, but left no issue. His widow bequeathed the estates of Bury and Coleton to Richard Incledon, Esq., now Vice-Admiral of the White, who has taken the name of Bury, and resides at Doniton, but is not the representative of the family.

Arms:Erm. on a bend, Az., three fleur-de-lis, Or.

Parishes
Haccombe - Hittesleigh

HARFORD, or HERFORD, in the hundred of Ermington and in the deanery of Plympton, lies about five miles from Brent, and six from Modbury. Part of Ivybridge is in this parish.

The manor belonged, at an early period, to the Peverells, lords of the hundred of Ermington in the reign of Edward III., to the Harstons at a later period to the family of Cole. In 1622, it was sold by Christopher Cole to Sir Richard Buller and others, trustees, probably, for Williams of Stowford, whose family became possessed of it about this time. No manerial rights have of late been exercised for this estate. The manor, or nominal manor, of East Harford, alias Stowford, belonged, at an early period, to Matthew de Ivybridge, whose daughter brought it to Dymock. From the latter it passed to Bonville, and was forfeited by attainder. It became afterwards, by purchase from the crown, as Sir William Pole supposes, the property of Adam Williams, whose son, Thomas Williams, Esq., was Speaker of the House of Commons in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The Speaker's mother was a Prideaux and it is probable that the learned Dr. John Prideaux, some time Bishop of Worcester (fn. 18) , born at Stowford, in 1578, was a relation of that family, although he is spoken of by Anthony Wood as of humble origin. John Williams, grandson of the Speaker, appears to have sold Stowford, in the reign of Charles I., to the Saverys, who some time resided there. From Savery it passed, not many years ago, by sale, to Mr. Dunsterville, of Plymouth and from him to Mr. Rivers, who kept the inn at Ivybridge. It is now the property of Mr. Philip Bowen, who purchased of the creditors of Mr. Rivers. The old mansion of the Williams family was pulled down, and the present house built by Mr. Rivers.

HITTESLEIGH, in the hundred of Wonford and in the deanery of Dunsford, lies about seven miles from Crediton, and about the same distance from Moreton Hamptsted.

The manor belonged anciently to the Talbots. In the reign of Edward I. it was in the Coles, who held under the Talbots (fn. 67) and afterwards, successively, in the families of London and Shilston. From the latter it passed by a female heir to Calmady. It is now the property of Mrs. Calmady, of Langdon Hall, in Wembury, the heiress of the last-mentioned family, to whom also the advowson of the rectory belongs.

Hundred Roll. There were several mesne lords between Cole and the Crown. Cole held of Talbot, Talbot of Punchardon, Punchardon of Bolhay, Bolhay of Courtenay, and Courtenay of the Crown, as parcel of the barony of Oakharapton.

Widecombe, or Withecombe Ralegh

WIDCOMBE, or WITHECOMBE RALEGH (fn. 39) , in the hundred of East Budleigh and in the deanery of Aylesbeare, adjoins the parish of Exmouth, and comprises part of that town, called Withecombe Exmouth.

The manor of Withecombe Ralegh, formerly called Withecombe Clavill, belonged anciently to the Clavills, who held it at the time of the Domesday survey, and afterwards, for many descents, to the Raleghs. In 1756 it was in the family of Bassett, from whom it passed, by successive sales, to Jackson and Cutler. It is now the property of Edward Divett, Esq., whose father purchased it in the year 1801. Westcote says that this manor was held by the service of finding the King two good arrows stuck in an oaten cake whenever he should hunt in Dartmoor. (fn. 40)

The Drakes possessed considerable property in this parish. Sir William Pole describes Rill in Withecombe Ralegh as having been in a family of that name, whose heiress married Duke, and the co-heiresses of Duke, Sokespitch, and Cole. A moiety of this estate continued, in Sir William Pole's time, in the family of Sokespitch: Cole's share had passed, by successive female heirs, to Drake and Raymond. Sir William Pole speaks also of a manor of Withecombe, which the Raymonds had inherited from Drake. The Drakes had, in 1628, the manor, or nominal manor, of Hulham, in this parish, which moiety Robert Drake, Esq., by his will of that date, gave, together with the rectory of Withecombe Ralegh, towards the maintenance of preaching ministers in the parishes of East Budleigh, Littleham, and Withecombe Ralegh, and other charitable uses. The other moiety was then in the family of Warren: it now belongs to the widow of Mr. John Warren. The manor of Broadham and Rill, within the manor of Withecombe Ralegh belongs to W. T. Hull, Esq., who resides at Marpool in this parish. Courtland, in this parish, by a late purchase, became the seat of Sir Walter Roberts, Bart. It was some time the property and residence of Charles Baring, Esq. Whimsey is the property and residence of Edward Payne, Esq.

ST. NEOT, in the hundred and deanery of West, lies about five miles westnorth-west from Liskeard, which is the post-office town about eight east from Bodmin and the same distance north-east from Lostwithiel. There is no village in this parish, except the church-town, which is large. The Archdeacon's court was held at this place, till the year 1753, when it was removed to Lostwithiel, and from thence, in 1773, to Bodmin, where it is now held.

There are holiday-fairs at St. Neot, on Easter Monday and the fifth of November. St. Neot lies on the old road from Bodmin to Liskeard. When the survey of Domesday was taken, there was a college at this place, then called Neotstow the manor of which was said to have belonged then, and in the reign of Edward the Confessor, to the canons of St. Neot.

We find no account of the manor of St. Neot till within the last thirty years, in which it has had three different owners: it was sold, by the late Elias Lang, Esq., to the late Sir John Morshead, Bart., who had also the manor of St. NeotBarrett, probably a divided moiety of the original manor, which had acquired the name of Barrett from its proprietors they now both belong to Lady Morshead, his widow.

It is probable that the Domesday manor of Fawintone, described as held by the Earl of Moreton in demesne, comprehended a large district on the banks of the Fowey, which rises in this parish, and extended to the borough of Fowey at its mouth. At a later period, the Cardinham family certainly had the manor and borough of Fowey and there appear to have been two manors of Faweton, both distinct from that and from each other, and probably both within the parish of St. Neot, as one of them is still known to be. There was, in the reign of Henry III., a manor of Faweton, which belonged to Andrew de Suleny, on whose death, without issue, it devolved to his uncle Jessery and he dying without issue, it was inherited by his sisters in moieties: one moiety passed by marriage to the Treverbyns the other, by a succession of female-heirs, as far as the reign of Henry V., to the families of Champernowne, Willington, and Wroth (fn. 1) . Sir Reginald Mohun died seised of a manor of Fawton in 1620 (fn. 2) . We have not been able to trace this manor any lower there are three small tenements of the name in St. Neot, two of which were lately sold by E. J. Glynn, Esq. (fn. 3) the other belongs to Thomas Bewes, Esq.

The manor of Faweton, alias Trenay, belonged to the Daubeny family from the reign of Edward I. (if not earlier) to that of Henry VIII., when Sir Giles Daubeny sold it to John Tubb, of whose son George it was purchased by William Bere, Esq. (fn. 4) The coheiresses of Bere married Sir John Grylls, of Court in Lanreath, and Bellott of Bochym. The Rev. Richard Gerveys Grylls possesses a moiety of this manor by inheritance, and has purchased the other moiety, which had been some time in severalties: the moieties were divided by deed in the year 1722. The manor of Polruan in Lantegloss, now the property of William Rashleigh, Esq. M. P., was formerly held with this manor. The bailiffry of the hundred of West (fn. 5) is annexed to the manor of Faweton, alias Trenay. The barton of Trenay was sold by the Tubbs to Connock we understand there are three Trenays Great and Little Trenay, united in one tenement, the property of Francis Gregor, Esq. and Higher Trenay belonging to Thomas Bewes, Esq.

The manor of West-Draynes, formerly belonging to the Carews (fn. 6) , and, at a later period to the Tillies, is now the property of J. Tillie Coryton, Esq. The manor of Pengelly belonged to Sir William Molins, who was slain at the siege of Orleans in 1428, and was inherited by the family of Hastings. In the reign of James I. it was in the Moyles: the present possessor is Francis Gregor, Esq., of Trewarthenick, who purchased it of the late Sir Lionel Copley, Bart. (fn. 7) This manor was held, in the reign of James I., by the service of providing a grey cloak for the Duke, whenever he should come into Cornwall, and delivering it at Poulstonbridge to the lord of the manor of Cabilia, whose office it was to attend the Duke with it during his stay in Cornwall (fn. 8) . A more ancient record, as printed in Blount's Tenures, assigns the service of providing the cloak to the lord of Cabilia, and that of carrying it to the lord of Pengelly. The manor of Trevegoe was in moieties, in the reign of James I. one moiety, which had been purchased by Hodge, belonged then to Matthew Veale the other, which had been in the Hungerfords, had been forfeited by attainder, and granted to Arundell, was then, by purchase from Layton, in the family of Bagott (fn. 9) : this manor now belongs to Lady Morshead. The manor of Treverbyn, which belonged to the Courtenays of Trethurfe, appears to have been dismembered: the Earl of Cork, who represents one of the coheiresses of Courtenay, possesses a small tenement of that name. The manor of Cabilla, Cabilia, or Carburrow, the property of the Honourable Mrs. Agar, (the barton of which is in Cardinham,) extends over a considerable part of this parish.

Trevenna, some time a seat of the Mohuns, is now the property of Joseph Grigg. Mennabroom, formerly a seat of the Coles, is now a farm-house, the property of John Buller, Esq. Hole is the property and residence of Mr. John Rundle.

In the parish-church are considerable remains of painted glass, containing the legends of St. Neot and other saints, as hath been already described. It is said by some of the Monkish historians, that this church was originally dedicated to St. Guevor or Guerrier, and subsequently to St. Neot, who, for many years, had led a hermit's life, and died and was buried at this place. The great tithes of this parish were formerly appropriated to the priory of Montacute (fn. 10) , in the county of Somerset: they are now, with some exceptions, the property of the Rev. R. G. Grylls, who is patron and the present incumbent of the vicarage. The tithesheaf of the manor of St. Neot-Barrett is appropriated to the repairs of the church. Two-thirds of the great and small tithes of two of the Fawtons, and some other farms, (which tithes now belong to the Duke of Bedford, and Thomas Bewes, Esq. (fn. 11) ,) were appropriated in former times to the repair of Launceston castle. There are the remains of a chapel dedicated to St. Luke, in this parish, on the borders of Alternon, a mile north-east of Dosmery pool: the ancient font remains. The estate on which this chapel stood, called Pinnock's and Luke's hills, and containing about 300 acres, has been unclaimed for many years: in 1613 it was in the Trefusis family.

John Anstis, Esq., Garter King of Arms, author of "The Black Book of the Order of the Garter," and an industrious collector of records relating to Cornwall and other counties, was born at St. Neot, in the year 1699.

Personal Ancestral File 5.2 (build 5.2.18.0) is a Windows based version of one of the most widely used genealogical management programs for home computers. The software program can be downloaded free from the Internet. PAF 5.2 does not provide genealogical data. Instead, it helps users organize their family history records. It can produce, either on screen or on paper, family histories, pedigree charts, family group records, and other reports to help users in their search for missing ancestors.

This version includes changes to the individual record to accommodate the wide variety of naming conventions used throughout the world. This version will convert PAF 3.0 and 4.0 data files to its improved file format. PAF 5.2 is also available on compact disc and includes Personal Ancestral File Companion which allows users to produce additional reports and charts.


Bury My Heart Apart from Me: The History of Heart Burial

Just as you might give a heart-shaped card to a loved one to show your affection, European royalty once bequeathed their actual hearts cut from their corpses to places they cared for. Heart burial had its high point of fashion in the 12th and 13th centuries, although it continues as a romantic funereal tradition to present day. 

This trend of heart burial coincided with Middle Ages military campaigns like the Crusades, where people were journeying far from home, and often dying there. Rather than send the whole body back, sometimes just the deceased’s heart was transported, preserved in lead or ivory boxes, often with spices to keep it from smelling too much. Also, you tend to get more prayers and venerations when you’re split up, as the religious would well know from the relics of saints. Occasionally these hearts were even buried in miniature effigies showing tiny knights in full armor. And according to Clare Gittings and Peter C. Jupp’s Death in England: An Illustrated History, “it is possible that some small monuments traditionally claimed to be the tombs of children are in fact heart monuments.”  

“The dispersed burial of monarchs and other dignitaries was common. After Henry I’s death in Normandy in 1135 from eating poisonous eels, his heart was sewn into the hide of a bull for preservation and transported back to England to be buried, while the rest of him was interred where it was. The heart of England’s Richard I — whose nickname, Couer de Lion (Lionheart), is rumored to have come from his ripping out and consuming the heart of a lion to acquire its courage — had his legendary cardiac muscle buried separately from his other remains.”  

The tomb of Richard the Lionheart’s heart (photograph by Walwyn/Flickr user)

The brave heart of Richard — a king who may or may not have eaten a lion heart in front of his court, per the 13th century outlandish legend — was buried in Rouen, France. The heart rested there from 1199 until it was exhumed in� and analyzed by scientists. While they weren’t able to find out much about his death, they did find out a lot about heart embalming, including the use of frankincense for a biblical tone along with spices, vegetables, myrtle, daisy, mint, and even some mercury.

This was a more elaborate treatment than most hearts were likely to get. As Eric Edwards of the Pitt Rivers Museum wrote in an article on their own preserved heart, charmingly kept in a crude heart-shaped lead container that was found in Christ Church in Cork in 1863, “it is thought that hearts were removed by those deemed apt for such a chore and these included butchers and cooks.” 

Illustration of a what appears to be the heart niche at Leybourne Church (via Wikimedia)

Elaborate, full-size effigies like Richard’s were not uncommon for the highest of royalty — queen consort Eleanor of Castile’s heart interred at Blackfriars in London was memorialized by a huge monument topped by a metal angel that was destroyed in the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century — but sometimes the memorials were more intimate.  

Sir Roger of Leybourne who died in 1271 during the Crusades, has his heart in a tiny casket alongside one for his wife in a niche in Leybourne Church in Kent. Reportedly, Victorians opened the caskets during a restoration, and found his heart enclosed in lead. However, the second for his wife was found to be empty, likely because she remarried after his death.  

To list the tiny heart burials of the Middle Ages elite would be a monumental task in itself, and to see the most striking of heart burials you have to jump ahead to the 16th century to Bar-le-Duc in France. There is one of the most haunting of heart burials, where a statue of a rotting corpse stretches its left arm up to the heavens with its heart in its hands.

This is a memorial to René de Chalon, Prince of Orange, who was killed at the age of 25 in 1544. The monument by Ligier Richier was completed in 1547, and originally the skeleton held Chalon’s very organ in a heart-shaped red box. Unfortunately, the reliquary was stolen during the French Revolution, and although the mortal terror-inducing statue remains, it just holds a heart facsimile.  

As a side note, the French Revolution really was an unfortunate time for royal hearts. Louis XIV’s mummified heart was also swiped. Reportedly part of it was accidentally eaten by geologist William Buckland in 1848 when he was examining a silver locket with a strange object in it (he’d apparently put it in his mouth to figure out what it was, perhaps the way he examined rocks). Meanwhile, the heart of the dauphin Louis XVII was kept by a surgeon dissecting the young prince after his death during revolutionary imprisonment, and in 1975 it finally was relocated to the Saint-Denis Basilica in Paris where it is presented in a clear vase. 

Heart of the dauphin (photograph by the author)

Grave of Thomas Hardy’s heart (photograph by Michael Day)

While heart burial became something of an oddity by the 14th century — with just outlandish monuments like the one for the Prince of Orange sporadically created — it still made appearances. The idea of being able to be buried in multiple places at once, and the significance of the heart as a source of emotion, was part of its endurance. For example, writer Thomas Hardy’s heart is buried in St. Michael’s churchyard in Dorset, while his ashes are in Westminster Abbey, so that he is both venerated as a British literary icon and rests alongside his family. However, story has long had it that the surgeon who sliced out Hardy’s heart in 1928 stored it in a cookie tin, where his cat discovered it and had it for a meal. Rumor is that an animal heart had to be buried beneath Hardy’s monument instead, although this remains something of legend instead of fact. 

And of course, we can’t leave out Percy Bysshe Shelley. After he drowned in 1822, his friends had a makeshift funeral pyre for his body, where Edward Trelawny pulled out a macabre memento from the poet. As Bess Lovejoy wrote in in an article for Atlas Obscura: “Trelawny reported that he reached in and snatched out Shelley’s heart. (Or what he thought was the heart—some say it was more likely the poet’s liver). After a brief custody battle the heart went to Mary Shelley, who kept it in a silk bag in her desk until she died.”  

Burial place of Pierre de Coubertin’s heart in Greece (photograph by David Holt)

Heart burial still occurs, sometimes like the Middle Ages royalty to express fondness for a place. Pierre de Coubertin, who died in 1937 and was the founder of the International Olympic Committee and integral in reviving the contemporary Olympic Games, has his heart interred in Olympia, Greece. Just in 2011, the heart of Archduke of Austria and Royal Prince of Hungary Otto von Habsburg was buried in a silver urn in Hungary’s Benedictine Abbey, while his body remained in Vienna, a way to posthumously embrace both sides of his heritage. 

There is something hopeful about heart burial, where you feel that some part of you might remain with this organ, even while it has long stopped beating. And even if the bloody heart, a delicate but strong engine for your whole being that’s only a bit bigger than your fist, is just another part of your temporary being that will all someday be gone, there is something oddly romantic about giving such an important piece of you to a beloved place. 

The pyramid holding sculptor Antonio Canova’s heart in Venice’s Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari (photograph by Anna Fox)

The mourner holding the urn with Canova’s heart (photograph by rjhuttondfw/Flickr user)

The burial place of a heart thought to belong to Robert the Bruce (photograph by Andrew Bowden)


Monument to the heart of François I in the Basilique Saint-Denis in Paris (via Wikimedia)


Thomas Talbot Bury

Thomas Talbot Bury (26 November 1809 - 23 February 1877) was a British architect and lithographer. Bury was articled to Augustus Charles Pugin in 1824 and started his own practice in Soho in 1830. At various times he collaborated with other notable architects including Charles Lee (partners between 1845 and 1849), Lewis Vulliamy and A. W. N. Pugin, with whom he detailed the Houses of Parliament under Sir Charles Barry.

Bury's works included thirty-five churches and chapels, fifteen parsonages, twelve schools and twenty other large public buildings and private homes. His ecclesiastical works included St Mary the Virgin's Church, Woodlands (near West Kingsdown), Kent (1850) the chapels at Tonbridge cemetery (1856) St James's Church, Dover (1859) and St John the Evangelist's Church in Burgess Hill, West Sussex (1861–63). He also carried out a restoration of St Peter and St Paul's Church at Temple Ewell near Dover.

Bury was also known for his engravings and lithography, notably of the works of Augustus Welby Pugin and Owen Jones. He exhibited at the Royal Academy between 1846 and 1872, and was noted for the sketches he produced for Ackerman's series of lithographs and aquatints of the "Coloured Views of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway", in 1831, republished in 1976.

Bury was made a Fellow of the RIBA in 1843 and was elected vice-president in 1876. He was also a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, a council member of the Royal Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland and an associate of the Society of Civil Engineers. Bury died at his home in Cavendish Square, London and is buried at West Norwood Cemetery.

References:

Tregellas, W. H. (2004). "Bury, Thomas Talbot", in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press.


From Graces Guide

of the Adelphi Silk Dyeworks, Salford

1833 :'Accidents. — An aged man named Thomas Weaville, private watchman to Messrs. Thomas Bury and Sons, of Salford, was about one o'clock on Saturday morning, dreadfully scalded under the following circumstances: —He had been ordered to superintend some silks which were being boiled in bags. The bags appearing above the surface of the water he attempted to put them down, when the pressure caused a quantity of boiling water to spirt forth, and injured him so severely that he expired on Saturday morning. An inquest was held on the body before Mr. Rutter, and a verdict of "accidental death" returned.' Ώ]

1839 Report on instances of hurricane damage: 'Early in the morning, the large octagonal chimney on the premises of Mr. Thos. Bury, Adelphi, was observed to vibrate by some workmen in the employ of Messrs. Gisborne and Wilson, and about six o'clock it fell with a loud crash. Five persons were upon the premises at the time, three of them in one of the rooms adjoining the engine-house, when the roof of the building was smashed by the coping-stones of the chimney. In a few seconds, about one half the chimney, which was originally 53 yards high, fell forward with tremendous crash, carrying down the roof and flooring of the finishing-room to the ground story, used as a boiler room, in which are two steam boilers, employed in working the steam engine. When the men saw the mass falling upon the building, they ran to the windows, and let themselves down to the ground. One man, less cautious, sprang from the window, and was a little bruised in the fall, as well as spraining both feet. Two of the hands, one of them a young man, named Gaskell, were in the boiler-house at the time the chimney fell. Two of the coping-stones fell within few inches of the place where Gaskell was standing and it is rather remarkable, that he escaped without any personal injury, his hat having been knocked off by some of the falling rubbish. Some idea may be entertained of the tremendous force of the crash, when we state that one of the large thick beams (18 inches square), of which several are placed across the building, was snapped in two in an instant. The engine was wholly uninjured, and the engine-house, a very substantial fire-proof building, received very little damage . ΐ]

1847 'An Artesian Well in Salford.—We learn that a well on this principle is now being bored by the Messrs. Mather, of Salford, for Mr. Thomas Bury, of the Adelphi, on the top of the hill at the end of Melbourne Terrace. The well is covered over by a wooden shed, under which also a small engine and the boring apparatus, which is constructed so to perform a kind of double eccentric movement. When they bore a certain depth cylinder is let down to the bottom, and the sand and other substances drawn up, when the process of boring is resumed. And this has been going on till the depth of 160 yards have been bored, without for once public attention being drawn to the subject. It is stated that less than £4 per yard would cover the cost of this immense undertaking and it is understood that the depth of 300 yards is intended to be reached. With the present depth (160 yards) the water in the well has risen to within fourteen yards of the surface, and it is expected that by the time they reach 300 yards it will rise to the top. This experiment will cost something over £1,200, and if it be correct that the main or artesian well-spring lies about 400 or 450 yards below the surface, if £5 per yard were allowed for greater depth than 300, the cost would not exceed £2,000 for the whole depth of 450 yards - Guardian.' Α]

1857 Sale notice: Alfred Leigh instructed by the assignees of Thomas Bury, to sell by auction, the whole of the machinery, utensils, &c. for Silk. Cotton, and Worsted Dyeing, &c., on the premises known asthe Adelphi Silk Dyeworks. Β]

1858 Sale notice: 'Preliminary Notice. — Highly Important to Silk, Cotton, and Worsted Dyers, &c. ALFRED LEIGH begs to intimate that he will SELL BY AUCTION, about the middle of the ensuing month of January, 1858, the premises known as Adelphi Silk Dyeworks, situate in Adelphi-street, Salford, by order of the assignees of Mr. Thomas Bury, and without reserve, the Valuable MACHINERY, &c., comprising six hydro-extractors, with baskets, 2ft. 6in., 3ft. 4in., and 3ft. 6in. diameter, Seyrig's patent hydraulic press, with 8in. ram, pair of double pumps, and two cast-iron carriages, lined with copper, on cast-iron railway very powerful stretching machine, with four arms and gearing complete five large-sized copper pans, with grate bars and fixings several large-sized cast-iron cisterns round and square cast and wrought iron pans lead pan, 4ft. 4in. by 2ft. lOin. 4ft. deep, copper bottom block-tin pan, 3ft. by 2ft. by 2ft. 8in deep, with copper bottom ten capital stone cisterns, &c. —Further particulars, with date of sale, will be given in future advertisements and meanwhile, for further information, application may be made to Francis Hernaman, Esq., official assignee, 69, Princess-street Messrs Chew and Son, solicitors, Swan-street or to the Auctioneer, at his offices, 47, Princess-street, Manchester. Γ]


16th - 19th century

In 1788, the manors of Lilley, Putteridge and Horwellbury were sold to John Sowerby Esquire a wealthy merchant of Hatton Garden. The silver lion from his crest can still be seen on many Lilley cottages.

In 1808 a serious fire destroyed the entire mansion and most of the furnishings, but in 1812 the mansion of Putteridge was rebuilt, in Regency style, half a mile north of Thomas Docwra’s old manor house (on present site).

The clock Tower made in 1841 by Gatwards of Hitchin, stands on the old stables and indicates that the previous house was built further south than the present house. The Sowerbys were renowned naturalists and horticulturalists and it was early that century that the grounds were laid out in their present form.

In 1868 the estates passed to George Sowerby. He is pictured above with his wife Emily.

A tragic event happened in 1888 when he was killed by an Egyptian stag in Putteridge Park (a copy of the report of the inquest in the Luton Times and Bedfordshire Advertiser, 10 August 1888 – can be seen at Putteridge Bury).


“We Will Bury You”

About the capitalist states, it doesn't depend on you whether or not we exist. If you don't like us, don't accept our invitations, and don't invite us to come to see you. Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you!

As a consequence of his speech, the representatives of twelve NATO nations and Israel walked out of the room.

At the time, many Americans saw the statement as a nuclear threat, but it&rsquos unlikely that this was the intent. In 1963 in Yugoslavia, Mister Khrushchev referred to his 1956 statement, saying,

I once said, &ldquoWe will bury you,&rdquo and I got into a lot of trouble with it. Of course we will not bury you with a shovel. Your own working class will bury you.

How&rsquos that workin&rsquo for ya?

It&rsquos a truism that governments tend to be both arrogant and presumptuous. They come up with changes that will benefit them, then concoct flimsy excuses as to why the changes are good for all concerned. The public swallow the pill, so the government assumes that the public believed the flimsy excuse. Over time, the government becomes convinced that their powers of persuasion are greater than they are, since they continue to get away with changes that do not benefit all.

Eventually, though, the public are stripped of their freedoms to such a degree that they lose patience with the flimsy excuses. It turns out that a significant percentage of them never fully believed them, but swallowed each pill in order to get along. In addition, the public&rsquos standard of living and quality of life are eventually also stripped away to a great enough degree that they lose patience.

Each of these is an important factor in an underlying disaffection that grows until it becomes a major force that may well be unstoppable if it blows. Amongst the people, it tends to be felt rather than seen and, of course, is felt less by those who created it, due to their ever-increasing arrogance and presumptuousness.

This is the stuff that makes revolutions. Whether they be armed conflicts or simply a refusal to vote for the status quo, as has been observed recently in the UK (Brexit), the US (the presidential election), and Italy (the referendum), governments tend to scratch their heads in disbelief when an outcome that they thought was assured proves incorrect.

Historically, when this happens, most leaders fail to see the warning signs for what they are. They instead double down their efforts to push through their programme of freedom and wealth removal, under the assumption that the warning signs were an anomaly&mdasha one-off glitch that won&rsquot be repeated.

Recommended Links

&ldquoAmerica is Ground Zero&rdquo&hellip (During Trump&rsquos first term?)
A multimillionaire and legendary investor&rsquos urgent broadcast is now live… It reveals why a financial shock far greater than 2008 could strike America during Trump's first term. And how it could either wipe out a big part of your savings… or be the fortune-building opportunity of a lifetime. This special presentation won't be online for long. Click here to watch it now.

When the wheels start to come off

This is the point at which divergence between a government and its people becomes manifest. In the early stages, the symptoms that the public demonstrate are not dramatic. Although there may be violent outbursts by small groups (either spontaneous or organized), the real danger is demonstrated less obviously. The average person&mdashthe housewife, the gas station attendant, the hairstylist&mdashbegins to perform small acts of civil disobedience. Whilst they may continue to pay lip service to &ldquoGod and country&rdquo and &ldquothe powers that be,&rdquo they increasingly disobey laws in small ways, which increases a contempt for the government that may eventually turn to hatred.

We&rsquore witnessing this development in its formative stages in both the EU and the US. Each government is charging ahead at full steam with its manipulative programmes, even as the people themselves have begun to dig in their heels and are voting for a reversal of events. Typically, in such instances, governments regard their people as gnats to be swatted&mdashagain going under the assumption that they are merely observing an anomaly. The people then dig in harder. In the next stage, the government redoubles its controls over those who protest, and the divide increases.

The question then becomes dependent upon whether major events occur. If the government backs off a bit, the majority of people tend to do the same, but if there are major events in play, such as warfare, economic instability, food shortages, etc., they may well be the spark point that sets off the already warm powder.

Today we can observe the EU and US governments trying to force situations regarding loss of freedoms, diminished income, unwanted immigration, and warfare upon peoples whose objections have been growing louder. It would be at this point that Mister Khrushchev&rsquos prediction that &ldquoYour own working class will bury you&rdquo may begin to come to pass. If so, we can anticipate that, once the EU and US have provided the shovel, Russia and China will assist in the burial.

Most of us have not personally lived through a revolution (violent or otherwise). We tend to imagine revolution as an entire nation of people leaving their homes and workplaces and taking up arms against their government. We understandably say to ourselves, &ldquoThat couldn&rsquot possibly happen here,&rdquo and we are correct. However, historically, that&rsquos not the way revolutions manifest themselves. In actual fact, those who are active in any revolution tend to be small in number, often less than 5% of the population. Predictably, they tend to be young, with little to lose.

So, how has revolution been successful in so many cases where the government was better armed, better organized, and had control of the supply chain?

The key lies, again, in Mister Khrushchev&rsquos statement.

In 1917, the Russians that joined the riots in Petrograd were only a tiny minority of the Russian population. Their success would not have been possible had they not had the advantage of public support, including many in the military. The average Russian believed that the rioters were right and quietly provided assistance as needed.

In 1958, a ragtag group of Cuban guerillas marched from the Sierra Maestra to Havana. On their way, they met government resistance, but, due to the support they received from the average Cuban (and some in the military), they overcame any opposition as they proceeded to the capital. By the time they reached Santa Clara, President Batista realized that the jig was up and hightailed it out of Cuba. The small group of rebels came into Havana unopposed, to the cheers of the populace.

&rsquoTwas ever thus

Of course, other revolutions took far longer to resolve, such as the American Revolution. But again, in each case, the success of the revolution would have been highly unlikely were it not for the quiet support from the average person whose only motivation was being fed up with the repeated removals of freedom and wealth. (In other words, the minuteman could achieve little on his own, but he gained power through the backup support provided by his neighbours.)

We cannot say what the fate will be for the EU and US&mdashwhether their respective governments will find the means to ride out the building storm of disaffection by their peoples, or whether they will ultimately crumble. But, if it&rsquos the latter, it is likely that they will do so as a result of disaffection from within, rather than attack from without.

Editor&rsquos Note: New York Times best-selling author Doug Casey thinks a financial shock far greater than 2008 could strike America during Trump's first 100 days in office.

It could either wipe out a big part of your savings… or be the fortune-building opportunity of a lifetime.

This is exactly why Doug and his team put together a time-sensitive video explaining how it could all go down. Click here to watch it now.


Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900/Bury, Thomas Talbot

BURY, THOMAS TALBOT (1811–1877), architect, was descended from a Worcestershire family, afterwards settled in the city of London. He was born on 26 Sept. 1811, and was articled in 1824 to Augustus Pugin. Among his fellow-pupils were Messrs. Ferrey, Dollman, Shaw, Lake Price, Nash, Walker, and Charles Mathews the actor. He commenced practice in Gerrard Street, Soho, in 1830 and, in addition to his architectural practice, was often engaged in engraving and lithographing his own and other architects' drawings, notably those of Pugin and Owen Jones. He was particularly skilful in colouring architectural studies, and his aid in this respect was often sought by the most eminent architects of the day when they were engaged in preparing designs for competition. In 1847 he published his 'Remains of Ecclesiastical Woodwork,' illustrated by himself and in 1849, his 'History and Description of the Styles of Architecture of various Countries, from the Earliest to the Present Period.' He was engaged with Pugin in designing the details of the houses of parliament under Sir Charles Barry. He frequently exhibited his works at the Royal Academy between 1846 and 1872 and sent to the International Exhibition of 1862 a large picture representing, at one view, all the churches, schools, public and other buildings erected by him. This fine drawing is now preserved as a record at the Institute of British Architects. Among his principal works were 35 churches and chapels, 15 parsonages, 12 schools, and 20 other large public buildings and private residences in various parts of England and Wales. He was elected an associate of the Institute of British Architects in 1839, and a fellow in 1843. In 1876 he was elected a vice-president. He was in 1863 made a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and was also a member of the council of the Royal Archæological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, a member of the Cambrian Archæological Association, and an associate of the Society of Civil Engineers. His collections of architectural and antiquarian books, his pictures, drawings, cabinets, and armour, were sold at Christie's in the autumn of 1877. On 23 Feb. 1877 he died, a widower and childless, and was buried at Norwood Cemetery.

[Redgrave's Dictionary of Artists of the English School Journal of the Archæological Institute Archæologia Cambrensis Transactions of the Institute of British Architects Builder, 1877.]


Bond, Thomas (1) 1597-1659***

J amestown was founded by Captain John Smith and a small group of English colonists. It might be well to note that the first Negroes were brought to Jamestown and the new America in 1619.


T
homas Bond lived at Bury St. Edmunds. He had a will that was dated November 8, 1658 and was proved the 10 th of March, 1659 at the Prerogative Court of Canterbury in London. Thomas Bond was to marry Elizabeth Woods in England in about 1620 as the first Pilgrims were to arrive in America.


T
he children of Thomas and Elizabeth Woods Bond were: Thomas (baptized September 22, 1622), John (baptized February 5, 1624), William (baptized September 3, 1625), Henry (baptized April 5, 1628), Elizabeth (baptized March 12, 1630), Francis (baptized May 31, 1632), May (baptized January 31, 1636), and Jonas (baptized August 5, 1638).

It is important to include other events of this time which led to a new home for this line of the Bond family.

The Spaniards had arrived in America and reports of their finding riches, including gold and silver, had spread across the seas to the whole world. The Pilgrims were to leave Southampton, England in 1620 by way of Plymouth, England to arrive in the New World late December of this same year. This was the beginning of “New England”.

Without going into all of the details already covered in history books, religious beliefs were reasons for the “Puritans”, Protestants who wanted to worship in their belief rather than that of the Catholic Church, to “escape” their homeland in search of a new land in which to worship as they preferred.

Two groups of English people were the first to establish “New England”. The “Cavaliers” were to land and make their home in Virginia. The “Puritans”, our ancestors, were to arrive in the Massachusetts area.


T
hree children of Thomas and Elizabeth Woods Bond were to arrive in America with Winthrop’s Fleet in 1629 or 1630. A son Thomas would have been about seven years old, a son John was five, and William may have been about four years old. All three children were baptized in St. James Church in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk County, England.

One writing tells us that William, and perhaps the other two children, was brought to America by his aunt Eliza, wife of Ephraim Child.


W e know that Thomas and Elizabeth were to have five more children, after John, Thomas, and William, all born in America.

Because of conditions in England at this time, it is believed that Thomas and Elizabeth may have arrived in New England before the arrival of their three children who were left in the charge of their aunt until the appropriate time for them to join their parents in America. This information is sure to be found after a search into Winthrop’s Fleet passenger lists.


Watch the video: River Flows In You - Yiruma - Piano Cover by Tom Bury digital (January 2022).